A free text editor is an open-source software that can be freely used and downloaded, it’s community support contribution which may contain restrictions for modification and reuse.
If you are concerned and proactively managing production costs is a big priority when you are working or developing your project, here we strongly recommended to use best free text editors with offering some of the same features but not less robust functionality.
How to Choose Best Free Text Editors (And Some IDEs)
Every programmer or developer needs a high-quality text editor or IDE with syntax highlighting, code completion and other modern technological features to improve your coding standards that can assist with the grungier parts of writing coding and using class libraries and frameworks.
Deciding which editor or IDE will be several things there are plenty of great tools to make this task a little easier. this article will outline the best free text editors to speed up working on your project.
Atom is an open source text editor working across platform operating systems. it can be installed on OS X, Windows, or Linux. Atom helps you write coding faster with a smart and flexible autocomplete. Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.
The Reasons Atom is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- Atom supports a cross-platform solution that works on OS X, Windows, or Linux.
- Code faster with a smart and flexible autocomplete.
- Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.
- Atom comes pre-installed with four UI and eight syntax themes in both dark and light colors.
- Working with Git and GitHub directly.
2. Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is a source code editor developed by Microsoft for cross-platform operating systems Windows, Linux and macOS, it fully featured IDE for Android, iOS, web, and cloud. It includes support for collaborative editing and debugging in real-time, embedded Git control, pair programming, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, code reviews, snippets, and code refactoring and more made easy with shared servers, terminals, diffs, and comments.
New Visual Studio Code had Improved on search for settings, commands, and install options with relevant results. It improved performance, instant code cleanup and Git integration. IntelliCode is now available in the box, no extension needed.
The Reasons Visual Studio Code is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- Visual Studio Code write your code fast debug and diagnose with ease test often.
- It provides built-in Git commands and Social coding with continuous integration and delivery.
Any IDE/editor and language.
- Visual Studio app center build in the cloud test on real devices Deploy everywhere.
- Improved IntelliSense performance for C++ files.
- Local development with many common emulators.
3. NetBeans IDE
Apache NetBeans is much more than a text editor. It highlights source code syntactically and semantically, lets you easily refactor code, with a range of handy and powerful tools. Apache NetBeans provides editors, wizards, and templates to help you create applications in Java, PHP and many other languages.
The Reasons NetBeans IDE is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- NetBeans supports a cross-platform solution that works on OS X, Windows, or Linux.
- NetBeans enables smooth and fast code editing.
- Multiple language support and Visual debugger.
- NetBeans code editor provides powerful tools, code templates, code generators that enable developers to refactor code easily.
- It supports multiple languages and can easily be extended via plugins to facilitate extra functionality.
4. IntelliJ IDEA (Community Edition)
IntelliJ IDEA is focused on raising your productivity by providing the most intelligent code assistance for all supported languages and frameworks. IntelliJ IDEA offers an amazing set of integrated tools that make development more productive.
The Reasons IntelliJ IDEA is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- Smart Code Completion is always aware of the context so you can code faster than ever.
- On-the-fly Code Analysis ensures code quality as you type and suggests handy quick-fixes.
- Advanced Refactorings takes care of applying complicated changes to the code safely.
- Version Control Tools with a unified interface for Git, SVN, Mercurial and others.
- Build Tools with support for Maven, Ant, Gradle and Gant.
5. Eclipse IDE
Eclipse is essential tools for Java Integrated Development Environment (IDE), but it’s not limited to easily combine other language support features into Eclipse default packages.
Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java Developers Tools for creating Enterprise Java and Web applications, including a Java IDE, tools for Enterprise Java, JPA, JSF, Mylyn, Maven, Git and Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers An IDE for C/C++ developers with Mylyn integration.
The Reasons Eclipse IDE is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- Best IDE for Java development with major plugins for most frameworks and platforms.
- It is open source and extensible and Best IDE for C/MPI development for traditional HPC.
- Integrated terminal and remote filesystem explorer.
- Git client integration and easy debugger.
- An IDE for developers with Mylyn integration.
Brackets is a powerful, modern and lightweight text editor. We blend visual tools into the editor so you get the right amount of help when you want it without getting in the way of your creative process. Brackets is an open-source project, supported by an active and passionate community.
Brackets has a real-time connection to your browser. Make changes to CSS and HTML and you’ll instantly see those changes on screen. Also see where your CSS selector is being applied in the browser by simply putting your cursor on it. It’s the power of a code editor with the convenience of in-browser dev tools.
The Reasons Brackets is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- The text editor connects with GitHub.
- Several extensions are provided to expand upon the current text editor and potentially customize future.
- Brackets is a cross-platform solution for use on all of your operating systems.
- High-speed HTML and CSS workflow and parse CSS and add vendor prefixes automatically.
Notepad++ is a free text editor based main component Scintilla, the Notepad++ seeks to optimize as many processes as possible to reduce CPU usage without sacrificing features in order to reduce power usage and create a greener world. As an open-source tool, Notepad++ supports user-made plugins and tutorials. Notepad++ runs on Microsoft Windows, and it strives to use less computing power than the average text editor.
One of the things that make Notepad++ stand out is the fact that it’s already been translated into over 80 languages, allowing access to people all over the world. Furthermore, you’re able to translate Notepad++ into your native language if you don’t find your language on the list of translations.
The Reasons Notepad++ is one of the Best Free Text Editor
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding.
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding and PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace.
- Multi-language environment supported already translated into dozens of languages.
- Macro recording and playback.
- The customization tools are easy to understand and powerful enough for the most advanced developer.
If this article Best free text editors to speed up working on your project could help you, please rate above Star button rating and share to help others find it! Feel free to leave a comment below.